8.08.2005

COMING SOON... More fat rich westerners and more images of bloated bellied children... to a TV, Newspaper, Webpage or Blog near you!

I think i am going to start using this again soon... to explore some different ideas about the disparity between the rich and the poor.

I was inspired, as i frequently am, by a recorded message from Mumia Abu-Jamal I heard on Pacifica Radio: KPFK. Mumia talked about, among other things, the starvation that is going on in Niger right now, and about the big Aid for Africa concerts, that were to raise awareness, not money.

Mumia makes a good point when he says that the money that it cost to put on that concert could have fed the people of Niger through the next rainy season, and might well have saved hundreds of thousands of lives. But that is not what happened. Mumia also quoted several statistics from The No-Nonsense Guide to Class, Caste & Hierarchies which states that, among other things, the net worth of the three richest people (in America? or the world... not sure) is greater than that of the 48 poorest nations of the world. This is quite startling.

So, rather than worry about my right to get married and earn specific tax credits, I wish to dedicate my time and energy to the causes of north-south economic disparities and the growing disparity between those with and those without.

2 Comments:

At Tue Aug 09, 08:45:00 PM PDT, Blogger Brigid said...

yo, don't really know who you are, however, you posted on my blog. I don't exactly know what you meant by Melting Moments ice cream (although I strongly think that it doesnt have anything to do with ice cream anyways) so.. yea.

 
At Wed Aug 10, 02:43:00 PM PDT, Blogger Brigid said...

My apologies. I am not familiar with the Lansing/MSU area except for the Kellogg center where I attend meetings once or twice a month. I'm sure starving college kids have kept the ice cream place open, though, if you say it's that good. Again, my apologies.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home